Advantages & Disadvantages of Travelling alone & Why I love it!!
Are there disadvantages of travelling alone, what do you think?
I travel solo most of the time, I think there are some disadvantages of travelling alone but there are also some advantages. I go through phases of feeling lonely travelling alone and then loving the fact I can do what I want. Here is a list of my pros and cons of travelling alone, do you agree or think I have missed anything let me know.
I am often told that I am so brave to travel alone, I dont think it is anything to do with being brave, in fact I was so worried about solo travel when I first started but the more you do it the more your confidence grows and I absolutely love travelling alone now.
But I also like travelling in groups as even though solo travel is very cool it is hard work and also has disadvantages so here is a list of my pros and cons of solo travel.
Read More : Solo Travel Tips
I am a bit of a cow to travel with but at least I admit it, I like things my way and I like to do things when I want but then again there are also plus points to travelling with someone if that person is a compatible travel companion.
Travelling alone and Sleeping
It will obviously cost more to travel alone as you have no one splitting the accommodation costs. I personally prefer hotels rather than hostels although I am exploring hostel multi share as an option to save some more when travelling solo. One of the best things about travelling alone though is the privacy of a hotel room and a nice big bed all to myself.
- Pro – I can sleep or get up when I want
- Con – I don’t have anyone to make me get up and sometimes I can be lazy and need a bit of motivation or nagging to get up
Travelling Alone and Communication
I actually talk more to people when I am travelling alone than I do if I am travelling with a friend. I seem to be more confident and outgoing when I am travelling solo and spend time making conversations with people whereas if I am with a friend I dont interact as much with others.
- Pro – No one to boss me about or moan at me. If I want to sit there not talking I can.
- Con – Sometimes I end up talking to myself and even arguing with myself if no one else is around. Sometimes I just want to say wow look at that to someone but there is no one there to share things I am seeing with.
- Pro – I can read a book, watch TV or just daydream without ignoring someone
- Con – I love horror films and books but can not watch or read them whilst travelling alone as I scare myself too much. I sometimes freak myself out when my imagination runs wild, I get back to room and have to check wardrobes and in cupboards to make sure no one has snuck in
Motivation when Travelling
There are so many times when I am travelling solo I think oh I cant be bothered to go for breakfast or I cant be bothered to visit that place but if I am travelling with someone I am more motivated to do something and if I start lagging the other person will tell me to pull myself together as I need to see the sights as that is the reason for travelling.
- Con – Sometimes I need someone to motivate me to actually move
- Pro – I don’t have to wait around for others, I am so impatient I like to get up and go I hate waiting around especially if I am ready
- Pro – I talk to others more often, I make more effort to interact
- Con – Having no one to talk to can be lonely
Getting lost when travelling
It is so easy to get lost when travelling. If I am on my own I am more conscious of where I am going obviously I will not go down lanes or side streets on my own to explore but if I am travelling with a friend I am more adventurous as isn’t as dangerous to go off exploring but I still keep my wits about myself.
- Pro – If I get lost it is my fault so I can not have an argument with someone over it
- Con – It can be quite scary sometimes getting lost if your with someone it can turn into an adventure
What to do when travelling
I plan more when I am travelling alone. I set out what I want to do and put together a itinerary. Whereas if I am travelling as part of a group I rely more on others to do the research or tell me what I can do. I get lazy with my research because other people can do it for me. But again sometimes this is nice as researching a trip is so time consuming and I travel a lot so I dont always have time to do as much research into things to do in a destinations.
- Pro – Choose where I’m going, what I’m doing, I don’t need to check with anyone that its ok
- Con – It can be time-consuming to do all the research sometimes I just want someone to tell me what I’m doing today
Eating when Travelling
Eating is a very social thing. I am less likely to go into a restaurant if I am travelling solo. Dont get me wrong I dont avoid them completely and if there is somewhere I want to try then I will. However I am more likely to get something to go if I am travelling alone.
- Con – Sometimes I feel uncomfortable eating alone, I get pity looks “aww bless shes got no friends”. Also being a plus size person I sometimes get more self-conscious
- Pro – I can eat when I am hungry
What do you prefer travelling with someone or alone? let me know in the comments.
If you like this article please share and pin for future reference