Disadvantages of Travelling Alone
Are there disadvantages of travelling alone, what do you think?
I travel solo most of the time, I think there are some disadvantages of travelling alone but there are also some advantages. I go through phases of feeling lonely travelling alone and then loving the fact I can do what I want. Here is a list of my pros and cons of travelling alone, do you agree or think I have missed anything let me know.
I am often told that I am so brave to travel alone, I dont think it is anything to do with being brave, in fact I was so worried about solo travel when I first started but the more you do it the more your confidence grows and I absolutely love travelling alone now.
But I also like travelling in groups as even though solo travel is very cool it is hard work and also has disadvantages so here is a list of my pros and cons of solo travel.
Read More : Solo Travel Tips
I am a bit of a cow to travel with but at least I admit it, I like things my way and I like to do things when I want but then again there are also plus points to travelling with someone if that person is a compatible travel companion.
Travelling alone and Sleeping
It will obviously cost more to travel alone as you have no one splitting the accommodation costs. I personally prefer hotels rather than hostels although I am exploring hostel multi share as an option to save some more when travelling solo. One of the best things about travelling alone though is the privacy of a hotel room and a nice big bed all to myself.
- Pro – I can sleep or get up when I want
- Con – I don’t have anyone to make me get up and sometimes I can be lazy and need a bit of motivation or nagging to get up
Travelling Alone and Communication
I actually talk more to people when I am travelling alone than I do if I am travelling with a friend. I seem to be more confident and outgoing when I am travelling solo and spend time making conversations with people whereas if I am with a friend I dont interact as much with others.
- Pro – No one to boss me about or moan at me. If I want to sit there not talking I can.
- Con – Sometimes I end up talking to myself and even arguing with myself if no one else is around. Sometimes I just want to say wow look at that to someone but there is no one there to share things I am seeing with.
- Pro – I can read a book, watch TV or just daydream without ignoring someone
- Con – I love horror films and books but can not watch or read them whilst travelling alone as I scare myself too much. I sometimes freak myself out when my imagination runs wild, I get back to room and have to check wardrobes and in cupboards to make sure no one has snuck in
Motivation when Travelling
There are so many times when I am travelling solo I think oh I cant be bothered to go for breakfast or I cant be bothered to visit that place but if I am travelling with someone I am more motivated to do something and if I start lagging the other person will tell me to pull myself together as I need to see the sights as that is the reason for travelling.
- Con – Sometimes I need someone to motivate me to actually move
- Pro – I don’t have to wait around for others, I am so impatient I like to get up and go I hate waiting around especially if I am ready
- Pro – I talk to others more often, I make more effort to interact
- Con – Having no one to talk to can be lonely
Getting lost when travelling
It is so easy to get lost when travelling. If I am on my own I am more conscious of where I am going obviously I will not go down lanes or side streets on my own to explore but if I am travelling with a friend I am more adventurous as isn’t as dangerous to go off exploring but I still keep my wits about myself.
- Pro – If I get lost it is my fault so I can not have an argument with someone over it
- Con – It can be quite scary sometimes getting lost if your with someone it can turn into an adventure
What to do when travelling
I plan more when I am travelling alone. I set out what I want to do and put together a itinerary. Whereas if I am travelling as part of a group I rely more on others to do the research or tell me what I can do. I get lazy with my research because other people can do it for me. But again sometimes this is nice as researching a trip is so time consuming and I travel a lot so I dont always have time to do as much research into things to do in a destinations.
- Pro – Choose where I’m going, what I’m doing, I don’t need to check with anyone that its ok
- Con – It can be time-consuming to do all the research sometimes I just want someone to tell me what I’m doing today
Eating when Travelling
Eating is a very social thing. I am less likely to go into a restaurant if I am travelling solo. Dont get me wrong I dont avoid them completely and if there is somewhere I want to try then I will. However I am more likely to get something to go if I am travelling alone.
- Con – Sometimes I feel uncomfortable eating alone, I get pity looks “aww bless shes got no friends”. Also being a plus size person I sometimes get more self-conscious
- Pro – I can eat when I am hungry
What do you prefer travelling with someone or alone? let me know in the comments.
If you like this article please share and pin for future reference
Originally posted in 2018 updated in April 2019